Master Chef – 14th Century Inuit Style
I often talk to upper primary school sudents about the minimalist environment of the 14th century Inuit peoples of Baffin Island who lived above the Arctic Circle. The setting for Polar Boy. So much of what we take for granted – from our lifestyle to the words and images we use to describe things – just doesn’t exist there. No trees, no metal, no cotton and little colour. Very little fire.
· 2 lbs seal meat, with fat, cut into small pieces (4 cups)
· 6 potatoes chopped
· 3 carrots chopped
· 1 onion chopped
· 1/3 cup tomato sauce or soy sauce
1. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the oil out of a few fatty pieces of seal.
2. Add meat and onion. Cook, stirring, until meat is browned.
3. Add carrots and potatoes. Add water to cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
4. Cook about 35 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in sauce if desired.